April 11, 2011

Ah Provence with an Urban Inspiration

I have finished it....

I will take some better pics with my real camera...

Just wanted to note some of the steps that I took to make this quilt, while it is fresh in my mind.

I have named this quilt "Ah Provence with an Urban Inspiration" because I was in Provence many years ago...(Yikes how time flies) and I fell in love with the brightness and the colors of their tablecloths and sunflower, olive patterned fabric.  As I indicated in an earlier post, I was volunteering at the Empire Guilds 2011 Urban Inspirations Quilt show.  So as I was helping to set up, I literally ran into the fabric, and continued to run into it throughout the day.  Result - it came home with me that Friday night...before the show even opened...smiles.  And the name was born.

I actually made the binding, which is something I do not particularly like and/or enjoy.  I fudged by machine stitching it..girls gotta do what a girls gotta do.

I also decided to practice tracing leaves before I actually jumped on the machine. I used tissue paper...see how lovely...


And then when I decided that I wanted to show it at the Empire Guild meeting on Saturday...I stopped practicing and did this.


Sooo much easier...but of course by this time, I had developed muscle memory and didn't need to do it...

I stippled the rest and free motioned some traveling leaves in other places.  I stippled the border to practice making the olive's pop...It turned out pretty good...considering I did it in a few hours...wooo hooo.



And there is Ah Provence with an Urban Inspiration...

3 comments:

  1. E. that looks wonderful! We certainly do need a playdate soon! Curves for you, free motion for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yippee...i must learn to curve....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely quilting! I love sunflowers....

    ReplyDelete