February 1, 2012

And It Feels Soooo Good - Fabric Love

Okay.  I said I was on a fabric diet.  I should have known that I would be in trouble.  I went on a spending spree around the holidays.  I actually did use much of what I purchased.  I have faithfully, began cutting into my stash and creating things without going out to purchase for each new idea.  For instance, I did not purchase one item for my aunt's gift that I made.  Not even a bead.  So that was difficult, but I survived.  I did not purchase fabric for most of January, until last week when my Rochester buddy was here.  That was only $22 dollars.  She also gifted me fabric, as you see in the previous post.

So its February 1, the day begins...and off goes the roller coaster ride.  I reigned in much of my emotions and feelings, but at 63 degrees in February and raging emotions...off I went to my favorite City quilt store.  As I walked in the door, I felt the tension slipping away.  I immediatly touched the fabric and felt a cool breeze come up from behind me.  I lifted a few bolts of brightly colored prints and I could hear the ocean soothing my soul.

Yes, I know it sounds a bit odd.  But it is a euphoric feeling when you have "Fabric Love".  You are instantly transported into a better, kinder, gentler state.  For example.  Last week was an extremely taxing week, both physically and mentally and after all was said and done with 16 hour days, I found myself with my quilting buddies chatting and hand stitching for a few hours.  As soon as I walked in the door and saw the equisite hand pieced quilt I was instantly rebooted.  The energy started surging through me.  I felt elated.

So, why does that happen?  What is Fabric Love?  Are you born with it?  Does it grow on you?  Do you catch it?  What makes fabric different from food, shoes, clothes, drinks, drugs, cigarettes, working out?  Is it because we then take that love and transform it into something else?  Why yes, many of us look at it and pet it, but we also use it to create.  Does that make it different?  What do you think?  I would love to know your thoughts.

2 comments:

  1. I have Fabric Love, especially with certain prints in my stash. They remind me of the time that I bought the fabric, how I hope to use it, the concern that I might not be able to find more if I run out...

    Recently, I've been trying to finally cut into my stash (I've realized that there are always more great fabric collections coming onto the market)! I've joined a few charm square swaps on Flickr, which asks you to cut 56 charm squares from a yard of fabric and swap it. It's been a great way to "let go," let others appreciate the fabric and use it in their sewing projects. It reminds me of that old quote from Hello Dolly:

    "Money [or fabric!], pardon the expression, is like manure. It's not worth a thing unless it's spread around, encouraging young things to grow."

    ReplyDelete
  2. I stumbled on your blog this morning from Bumble Beans. When I saw Cocktails and Threads I thought that is a girl after my own heart! I know exactly what you mean about Fabric Love. My cousin wants me to go fabric shopping this afternoon and I am trying to resist. I just ordered some solids online and I really should use some of what I have before I buy more.

    Your work is really cool!

    ReplyDelete